Good day writers, its National Poetry Month and I’m late to the party.

I know, I know, I’m late to the party, but better late than never right? I’ve been in mourning, traveling, thinking, writing these past few weeks. Hopefully I will get a chance to share some of that with you. But for now, let’s concern ourselves with poetry.

This month (like every month I suppose), let’s consider it all. Poetry that sometimes seems like prose, poetry in meter, one or two lines of glittering thought. Ok, let’s get on with it…

sky

Red Fire Engine (or On Soothing the Pain)

There was a red fire engine under
my foot, its siren sounded like wild screech.
There, alone, in the corner of the kitchen,
scream drowned by echo, wood, the distance
between them and me. Twisted as a flag on staff,
I stood on one foot, eyeing my swollen skin
red, pursed with white plastic ladder.
What could any of them do anyway,
their worry-free lives scattered on the floor
like pebbles poking out from under soil,
droplets of time, disorder, play. For a moment
I considered a curse, then resolved to whisper.
Anger rarely soothes the pain.

-dce

Happy National Poetry Month!

Tags: , , , , ,

Categories: Poetry, Writing

6 Comments on “Good day writers, its National Poetry Month and I’m late to the party.”

1. April 4, 2014 at 5:36 am #

Enjoyed this.. reminded me (a little) of myself.. only, I’m sure, I would’ve said a curse. LoL
    (do hope the owner of said truck is fine) :)

• April 4, 2014 at 6:24 am #

Lol. I almost did. Yes all are well!

2. April 3, 2014 at 1:50 pm #

* Thank you . Also national or international, I am in. :)

3. April 3, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Hello Dionne, you are fashionably late dear. I heard it from you so now I know that it is poetry month. Thanks you. It is amazing how pain reminds us to slow down or pay attention to something. This poem is full of pain and discomfort and also very cryptic. Hmmm…I love the fight. Have a lovely evening. :)

• April 3, 2014 at 3:35 pm #

Oooh, hi Nomzi. I love your comments!!! : ) Thank you for giving me a late pass! And I appreciate your recognizing the tensions in this piece. Writing about pain is a lovely and difficult ride but I like to explore it. I’m not scared of it (most of the time).

I think that trying to capture life’s complexities in interesting and beautiful ways is fascinating and exactly what poetry is often doing. There are so many metaphors, narratives of hurt and healing. I love writing about that tricky stuff!

For us poets, poetry exists in our lives always. But yes, somewhere someone said that April is “National Poetry Month”, so alright, let’s celebrate!

Have a good night Nomzi.

• April 4, 2014 at 3:20 am #

Heehee. :)

I have never tried describing a lot of pain. You are so brave. And it is wonderful each time I open a reader and I see words from you. How I love the blogosphere. :)
        Sunny, cool and wonderful here. Have a lovely weekend Dionne. :)