A Creative Summer “GetAway”

I recently saw a friend of mine in the coffee shop and after catching up on life, he mentioned he was headed to Kenya to write this summer. He is working on a book and put himself on a carefully timed writing schedule. And while he admits that this schedule is ambitious and that interesting distractions by such things as the internet is everywhere, flying off to another part of the world will allow him to leave some things behind (his family will be in another part of Africa for summer) for several intense weeks of writing. Some of us can not do such a thing, but I thought it was interesting to think about how a change of scenery might be useful when completing a project, a deadline, or just carving out time to write. Taking ourselves out of our familiar, sometimes emotionally or physically cluttered environments offers a writer refuge, and physical and psychological space.

Imagine yourself here.

We often hear that consistency in a writing schedule will help a writer stay on track for a project or deadline, but I find it interesting that a change of pace or place allows a writer a window of opportunity. I’ve always done well when I go off to a writing retreat to focus and work on craft. There is something about less disruption physically and mentally. However, I suppose that can backfire if while away you’re worried about things (family, work projects, schedule) back at home.

Some of us won’t be in Kenya this summer writing but I wonder, where will you be writing? Will you have a chance to get away (and I mean that with all the flexibility that implies) this summer to write? Where do you plan to write this summer?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Inspiration, Writing

8 Comments on “A Creative Summer “GetAway””

1. Gwen
    May 24, 2013 at 5:12 am #

I’m jealous of you lucky friend — wish I could do something like that! I’ll be writing at my kitchen table, as always. The difference is, since I don’t work during the summer I will need more discipline than ever. Having more time on my hands is actually more of a hindrance than help.

• May 24, 2013 at 6:22 am #

I know — we should all be so lucky right!? The kitchen table sounds like a fine place to write, and you raise a good point, you will have to be disciplined to keep at those words and not wander outside. Then again, a stroll outside may be just what you need to stay inspired: fresh air, city/rural sounds, summer.

I will be doing some travel this summer but nothing as interesting as Kenya. To give context, this friend travels to Africa often, usually Tanzania, and Kenya is a neighboring country. He’s a historian and has done a lot of research, writing, and teaching on that eastern region and the surrounding areas. I am inspired by not only his travel, but also his plan to write. I hope to check in with him sometime this summer to see how things are going.

I love writing while I am away from my “kitchen table” and I hope to do a bit of that this summer, even if often “away” is far more figurative than literal. :)

2. May 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

I think if we broaden our horizons, we will also broaden ourselves. Good luck to your friend and great post :)

• May 23, 2013 at 3:57 pm #

Thank you on both. And thanks for stopping by. I will visit your blog.

• May 23, 2013 at 3:58 pm #

Thanks and I hope you enjoy your Cup of Joe :)

• May 23, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

3. May 23, 2013 at 3:48 pm #

OUT OF OUR FAMILIAR sounds like an exotic place to spend a few days GONE WRITING!

• May 23, 2013 at 3:51 pm #

That’s a great sign or bumper sticker: “Gone Writing.” Love that.