To Write or Not to Write at 5am

Somewhere, someone else is up before dawn writing, reading, researching, thinking, practicing, creating. I am not the only one who courts this curious time of day, creeps down the stairs to prepare dinner, pack lunches, read whatever I can get my hands on, check email, sit still. I know there are others around the world who also step into a tepid shower, wait for the cold that settled into the pipes overnight, to warm and frost the window, smear the bathroom glass. That someone I’m thinking of is searching for their journal, their pencil or pen they keep by the bed, to scribble down the remnants of dreams, to jot down ideas, or just one beautiful line.

It’s no secret that I dwell in early morning spaces. I can not think of a better time to write, breathe, think, do. There are other times in the day to entertain all of those things, but they are not as lovely as the blooming dawn, the cranberry orange sky, the crisp draft along the wood floors, the quiet hum of being alone.

I find that my way to writing everyday is stumbling (sometimes very sleepily) into words and sunrise, but somehow I know I’m not the only one up this early, restless and creative.

A friend of mine recently shared an essay with me on writing in the morning…How I Get To Write

Good morning.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Education, Inspiration, Writing

8 Comments on “To Write or Not to Write at 5am”

1. January 7, 2013 at 10:26 am #

Morning! (Well afternoon where I am). I am definitely not an early morning writer! Nice blog. :) Beth

• January 7, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Good afternoon Beth! When I think about all the things I try to do in the morning, I’m tired just thinking about it! :) But in the midst of the busy, I do try to carve out a slice of my morning, every morning to write. Thanks for visiting and subscribing to my blog. Welcome and I hope to see you back again soon.

• January 7, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Hi Dionne!

Ah, I wouldn’t get anything productive done in the morning! One of the other writers on our team (Kate) does all of her writing at 4am!

You’re welcome! :)

• January 7, 2013 at 10:59 am #

Wow, 4am? That is amazing. Even I, as a morning person, can’t imagine that! Love your blog, just subscribed.

• January 7, 2013 at 11:04 am #

I know, she’s amazing! (Look for Kate in our ‘Meet the Limebird Writers’ section. She also has her own blog – 4amwriter.com) Thank you, and the same to you! We’re also following, and I’m currently having a little snoop around! :)

2. January 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm #

Thank you for sharing my essay with your audience!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Slipping down a mountain slope | Journey of a Creative Playful Explorer - January 12, 2013

[…] To Write or Not to Write at 5am (lifeandwrite.com) […]

2. Author Notes; The Journey Toward My First Novel | Kellie Elmore - January 9, 2013

[…] To Write or Not to Write at 5am (lifeandwrite.com) […]