Just in case you forget you’re a creative

If someone else deems me “artist” on a name tag, does that make it so?

While at an artist workshop over the weekend, my name tag started fraying at the edges so I peeled it off, carelessly stuck it inside my bag, and forgot about it. After several days, I noticed my creative self seems to still be sticking around.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Writing

6 Comments on “Just in case you forget you’re a creative”

1. May 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm #

I like this a lot. I don’t think of myself as an artist but people have told me that I am. I write for a living but don’t always see that as creative…more productive!

• May 9, 2012 at 9:16 pm #

Thanks…I like your blog. And I get what you’re saying…titles are tough. In our lives, our careers, our endeavors, we’re asked to simplify, categorize, and sometimes “being creative” is so much more complex, nuanced. I do like the term artist, but it can feel loaded, heavy, a burden (sort of). But I do still love the word: artist. I wonder if we didn’t have that word what we might call creative folks? Lately I’ve been thinking of the creative folks I know (artists or otherwise) as “creatives”.

Writing is a gift. Productivity is good–it pays the bills, fulfills, and gets things done. Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. You’re welcome back any time.

2. Awanthi Vardaraj
    April 17, 2012 at 8:50 am #

I confess: I like it. :)

I’d like something like that to remind me I’m a writer. It would come in useful during those moments (almost non-existent now) when I am so consumed by self-doubt that I don’t know what I am.

• April 17, 2012 at 8:58 am #

I agree Awanthi. It’s a nice to stumble a statement saying: you are a writer or you are an artist. We all could use a reminder every now and then. :)

• Awanthi Vardaraj
        April 17, 2012 at 9:02 am #

I just wrote: Awanthi Vardaraj, Writer on a label and popped it onto my cork board. *chuckle* Thanks for the inspiration.

It’s nice to ‘meet’ you. Have a good day today. :)

• April 17, 2012 at 9:03 am #

Love that, look at it often and know it to be true. Keep in touch!