A slight grad school set back, an empathetic son

So I might not graduate this summer (as I had hoped and planned), it looks more like autumn. Granted, it’s not the end of the world, but it’s a set-back, and it’s frustrating. As I hunched over the computer today in tears at how overwhelmed I am three years into grad school (along with life, marriage, working fulltime, and raising kids), my 6-year-old walked into the room and gave me a hand-written note. I asked him to read it out loud:

Dear mom, I understand you are sad but I know you can make it. I love you mom.

And with a long hug from my son, I dried my tears, put my sadness (and frustration) into perspective, and got back to work…

While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.—Angela Schwindt

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Education, Inspiration, Love

8 Comments on “A slight grad school set back, an empathetic son”

1. January 16, 2013 at 11:11 pm #

I love it whenever people get together and share views.
    Great blog, continue the good work!

• January 17, 2013 at 5:24 am #

Thank you for visiting my blog Bell. You’re welcome back any time.

2. June 28, 2011 at 7:55 pm #

That is so sweet. They know just what we need, sometimes, don’t they? And he’s right, by the way. You can make it.

• June 28, 2011 at 7:59 pm #

Thanks Rebecca. They do know…it’s amazing how much they teach us.

3. June 26, 2011 at 4:47 pm #

My kids have always supported me. They lift me over hurdles with their love.. Yours will continue to teach you so much about trials and setbacks and unconditional hope, support and love. Kids are the best! And, of course, yours writes beautifully, embracing you with his hope and love. You will finish in the fall and we will all celebrate!

• June 26, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

That is so encouraging. Love…that’s the word isn’t it? Kids love so genuinely, so unapologetically, and without boundaries. I’m learning so much from them.

4. zülal
    June 26, 2011 at 4:26 pm #

nobody could find better words or say in the way he did to make you feel better. . .

• June 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm #

You’re right Zulal, it was exactly what I needed at the time. How he knows to do these kinds of things without prompts is a wonder to me. I couldn’t ask for a better son. He’s so kind, so giving…